I have been dying to show you all this project that I completed recently because it is honestly one of my favorites (but yet again, I say that to a lot of my projects).
I visited my friend in Westchester, PA and was driving around the town for a little bit. That town was so adorable and it had some amazing eateries and stores. During my drive, I came across a little boat shelf sitting on the side of the road. Naturally, I pulled over because I was intrigued to see what was wrong with the little shelf that it was put out for trash. As I picked it up, check it upside down, inside out, I found absolutely nothing wrong with it. It was not only in perfect condition but it was ADORABLE, all it needed was a little love.
To be honest, I thought this piece would be the last thing that I would ever sell. However, I posted it on my Instagram account and Facebook page and I got a message quickly from someone saying they wanted it. You have no idea how excited I was!
I was told to redesign this cute boat shelf to have a beachy feel. I knew instantly what I wanted to do.
I went to the store and picked up some aqua wood stain, some netting, and a wooden anchor.
The second I got back home, I started to work on the project. Frist, I had to sand all the green paint off the back because that is where I was going to be staining it with that aqua wood stain.
After I finished with the sanding, I started my staining. It took a few hours to let each layer of stain to dry but, after around 5 layers of stain, I finally got that rustic, coastal, beachy feel that I wanted.
Now it was time to move onto the inside of the boat. I wanted to give it that same coastal/ beachy feel so I knew that I had to whitewash it. All I did was take some white paint and add water to it to thin it out. Three layers of whitewash and hours of drying later the inside was finished.
I wanted to keep the wood of the rim, however, it just looked too dark. So, I took a 60 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded the rim down until the wood lightened up to the exact color I wanted.
Now that the body of the boat was completed finished, it was time to accessorize!
First, I grabbed my wooden anchor and stained it with a dark gray and set it aside to dry.
In order to successfully accessorize the boat exactly the way I envisioned it in my head, I needed to gather a few items. I dug through my GIGANTIC bin of crafts to pull out my bag of seashells. (These shells are ones that I have collected over the years on the beaches I go to. I finally can put them to some good use).
IT’S GLUING TIME!
After rearranging the shells a few times, I found exactly how I wanted them to be displayed.
Once the anchor, net, and shells were glued down, I took some rope string and attached it to the anchor and the top of the boat.
Finally, it is finished!
It honestly turned out exactly the way that I wanted. There is no better feeling than the feeling of accomplishment.